Invisalign vs. Traditional Braces: Which Is Better?
If you have overlapping, gapped, crooked or twisted teeth, you need orthodontic treatment to improve your appearance. Earlier, the patients had to wear braces made of brackets and metal wires to straighten their teeth into their new position.
Nowadays, you have plenty of options such as Invisalign that eliminate the limitations of conventional orthodontic treatment.
This guide will help you to make the right decision.
The Key Difference Between Traditional Braces & Invisalign
Both traditional metal braces and Invisalign’s purpose is to provide straight teeth and improve your oral health. But the key difference is the teeth straightening process. Consult your family dentist in Abu Dhabibefore making any decision.
Traditional Metal Braces
Traditional metal braces are generally brackets or frames glued to the enamel of each tooth. The brackets are connected with metal wires which help you shape your teeth over time.
Multiple color options are available for wires but most of the patients prefer enamel color wire to make them less noticeable.
Invisalign is made of BPA-free plastic to slowly move your teeth in the desired place. They are made from a smooth and comfortable plastic quality, so wearing them is an easy process.
Invisalign uses a 3-D image of your teeth rather than using a mold to configure aligner trays to fit perfectly.
Benefits Of Traditional Metal Braces
- Irremovable- Metal braces are permanent and they will stay in the place. It is good for patients who don’t want to change their trays regularly.
- Treatment Time- Treatment time can often be much quicker. As the metal braces are irremovable are worn 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by a patient for about 2 years.
- Cleaning Process- Metal braces require regular brushing and flossing, just like you brush your teeth without them.
- After-Care- After completing the treatment, it’s necessary to keep all that hard work intact. The patient needs to wear a positioner or retainer (usually every night) to manage the teeth.
- Effectiveness- Traditional metal braces are the best options for patients with more complex dental issues.
- Follow Up Visits- You need to visit your orthodontist every month for a regular check-up. Your orthodontist may adjust the wires according to the shifting of teeth.
Benefits Of Invisalign
- Removable- Invisalign trays can be removed according to the need. It gives you the freedom to eat and drink without getting food stuck.
- Appearance- The biggest benefit of Invisalign is its appearance. They are clear trays that many people won’t even notice you wearing them. They are great for those people who want to straighten their teeth but hesitated due to the bad appearance of traditional metal braces.
- Comfort- As Invisalign is made from soft food quality plastic, it is more comfortable than metal braces. Also, it doesn’t create sores in your mouth as there are no metal wires involved.
- Treatment time- The patient needs to wear Invisalign about 22-24 hours a day for 12 to 24 months depending on the dental issues.
- Cleaning Process- You can just brush and rinse the Invisalign trays in luke-warm water or use the special Invisalign cleaning system for cleaning purposes.
- Follow Up Visits- You need to replace the Invisalign trays depending on the condition of your teeth. It generally requires visiting your dentist or orthodontist every 2 to 4 weeks.
Note: Invisalign braces work perfectly for horizontally misaligned teeth. Invisalign might not be an option for you if you have overcrowded and severely rotated teeth with different heights.
There are various factors you need to consider before deciding between traditional metal braces and Invisalign. Contact us at +971 2 4454 666 and schedule an appointment with the best orthodontist in Abu Dhabi to discuss the available pricing options and payment plans.